Senoir Pastor of

Church History: In 1939, a faction arose at the Zion Primitive Baptist Church, now known as Greater Zion Missionary Baptist Church, located on North Progress Ave, Harrisburg, PA. As a result of this faction, a small group of persons formed the Little Zion Primitive Baptist Church and for two years they met informally.

In April of 1942, Brother William Daring, Sister Eliza Williams and Sister Katie Fairfax, being led by the Spirit of God, re-organized the Little Zion Primitive Baptist Church with Elder Robert E. Childs serving as her first Pastor. A house at 1331 Williams Street was secured and the congregation met and worked regularly. Under the leadership of Elder Childs, with the financial assistance of the Reverend George R. Washington, the congregation purchased an abandoned blacksmith shop located at 302 Calder Street, in 1943. The building was renovated and the church changed its name from the Little Zion Primitive Baptist Church to the Macedonian (recording error intended Macedonia) Primitive Baptist Church. The church became affiliated with the National Ketoctan Association of Primitive Baptist Churches. Elder Childs resigned in 1944.

In 1944, the call was extended to the Elder Joseph Tennant and during his service the church continued to grow. Elder Tennant resigned in 1946.

In 1947, Elder Robert E. Childs was recalled to serve as pastor. During this administration, the Macedonia Primitive Baptist Church received her Charter in November 1947. The following individuals were the chartered members:


Clinton H. Baltimore, Jr.                 Ida Porter

Sappalonia Walker                         Nelson D. Sharney

Robert L Childs                              Carrie B. Burrs

William Dearing                             Barbara Brooks

Katie Fairfax                                  Mary Franklin

Lucy M. Turir                                 Virginia Gray

Joseph Turir                                  Anna Butler

Elder Childs resigned in 1949.

In 1950, Elder Henry Williams was called to serve as pastor. During his leadership, the church continued to strive as he organized a Youth Trustee Aide Group and expanded the Deacon Board. Elder Williams resigned in 1952.

In 1953, Elder Noah Carter accepted the call and continued to lead Macedonia. After four years of service, in 1957 Elder Carter resigned.

In 1957, The Reverend Robert J. Anderson accepted the call. During his pastorate, the church relocated to 1322 Marion Street and changed her doctrinal persuasion from Primitive to Missionary Baptist. The church’s name was changed to Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church. The church became affiliated with the Pennsylvania Baptist State Convention and the Central Baptist Association. Pastor Anderson served for ten years before resigning in February 1967.

In March 1967, The Reverend Dr. R. Terrell Duncan, Sr., accepted the call. During Pastor Duncan’s leadership, he expanded the Junior Choir, the Board of Christian Education and the Missionary Society. The church became a member of the Council of Churches of Greater Harrisburg, the National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc. and the American Baptist Convention. Further, in 1970 Pastor Duncan led the church to her present location at 2339 North Sixth Street where he guided the church in sponsoring a Daycare Center, a home for misguided boys, which was conducted by Deacon Osbia Jones and his family in the church parsonage and many other community action programs. Pastor Duncan went home to be at rest with the Lord in February 1974.

The Reverend T. J. Reynolds, Pastor Emeritus of Mount Olive Baptist Church, served as supply pastor until The Reverend Roosevelt Green, Jr. accepted the call in December 1974. Under Pastor Green’s leadership, the church experienced another surge of membership growth; became more structural and departmentalized, adopted a constitution, expanded the Youth and Christian Education endeavors and organized Boy and Girl Scout troops. Pastor Green resigned in July 1979, to pursue full-time doctoral studies.

In the absence of Pastoral leadership, the Food Bank was established and operated weekly. In May 1980 with Deacon Melvin Johnson as chairman of Deacons and Deacon Joe Lomax as chairman of Mortgage Liquidation Committee held a mortgage burning service and the 40th year anniversary celebration.

In October 1980, The Reverend Walter W. Piper, Jr. accepted the call. Under Pastor Piper’s leadership the church increased her involvement in outreach, community action programs flourished, the Youth Church, Baptist Training Union, Young People and Young Adult Missionaries, Ushers and Choirs were revived. The Willing workers, Nurses Unit, Mission Kitchen and Prison Ministry Yoke Fellowship were initiated. A cornerstone laying service was held on April 25, 1982. During this service, the church deposited a time capsule to preserve our history for posterity. Pastor Piper resigned in February 1984.

In April 1985, The Reverend Myron D. Barnes accepted the call. The Mission Kitchen increased to weekly servings and the Food Bank expanded its operation to a two-day community service. A mini-bus was purchased and the tape ministry broadened. Mid-week Bible Study was expanded to include Family Enrichment Night. The “God’s Precious Jewels,” a choir for children ages walking to six (6) years old, “Men’s Fellowship Chorus,” and a “Laymen’s League” were organized. Three ministers were licensed under Reverend Barnes: Reverend Calvin Edmonds, Reverend William Barton and Reverend Albert Lewis. Pastor Barnes resigned in June 1990.

On March 12, 1991, The Reverend Dr. Danny Conyers was called to be our pastor. Under Pastor Conyers’ leadership we purchased seven lots on Curtin Street and turned them into a paved parking lot; central air condition for the church; computerized church record and finances; relocated the Administrative wing of the church to the parsonage; purchase of a new minivan; enlarged the pulpit; carpeted the sanctuary and offices, installed new flooring in the lower and upper level fellowship halls; two additional bathrooms on first floor and remodeled ladies bathroom in the basement; enlarged the Audio Visual Booth; rewired portions of the church; purchased a new furnace; installed new Baptismal Pool; cushioned the pews in the sanctuary. Purchased new tables and chairs in both the upper and lower fellowship halls; new commercial stove in kitchen; building a narthex and new sound system. Spiritually, Pastor ordained the first women to the position of Deaconess; changed our terminology from the use of the term “board” to “ministries”; established four Weekly Bible Study Groups; Diaconate Team Ministry; Macedonia Liturgical Dancers; and Evangelism Ministry. Four ministers were licensed under Pastor Conyers; Reverend Allen Taylor, Reverend Dr. Henrietta Adams; Reverend Sandra Norton and Reverend IDaniel Sommerville. The following were licensed and ordained; Reverend Robert Kilby, Reverend Reginald Brooks, Reverend Dr. Barbara R. Conyers, (also the first female co-pastor in the history of Macedonia), Reverend Anthony Thompson, Reverend Sheila Thompson, Reverend Michael Cooley Sr., and Reverend Darlene Cooley.

Reverend Conyers retired as Pastor Emeritus on June 3, 2012, after 21 years of faithful service.

On October 16, 2013 The Reverend Dr. Rodney D. Smalls accepted the call and was installed on January 26, 2014.

Pastor’s Bio: Dr. Rodney D. Smalls is a native of South Carolina and currently resides in Westminster, MD. His ministry was birthed out of the womb of the New Psalmist Baptist Church under the tutelage of Bishop Walter Scott Thomas, Sr. Understanding that faith and knowledge are both essential for effective ministry in the 21st century, Dr. Smalls is a graduate of The Ecumenical Institute of Theology at St. Mary’s Seminary and University with Master of Arts degrees in both Theology and Church Ministries (Urban Ministry), and a Doctor of Ministry in Black Church Studies from Ashland Theological Seminary. Dr. Smalls’ undergraduate degree is in Biology from the University of South Carolina. He also holds a certificate of higher learning in Nuclear Medicine Technology.

Before being installed as Pastor of the Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church on January 26, 2014, Dr. Smalls faithfully served as Servant Leader of First Church of the Brethren in Baltimore, MD.

Dr. Smalls’ vision for ministry is one where practical ministry and theology are merged for the betterment of the community in which the church resides. He believes people must not just hear the gospel message; they must see it applied to their lives.

A foundational passage of Scripture for his life has been Romans 10:9-10. That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, then thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. It is through this Scripture that the Lord ignited a flame that has since been unquenched.

In addition to being the Servant Leader for Macedonia, Dr. Smalls is the Supervisor of Nuclear Medicine at Northwest Hospital Center in Randallstown, MD. He resides in Westminster with his lovely wife, Lady Velda and their three children; Joshua, Caleb, and Samuel.

Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church
2339 N. 6th Street, Harrisburg, PA 17110
 Phone: 717.232.8946

Sunday Worship: 10:00 AM
Adult Sunday School: 9:00-9:30 AM
Youth Sunday School: 9:45-10:20 AM
New Members Class: 9:00 AM